The Road So Far

The Road So Far

Shalom. About two months ago, Doug and I moved to Arizona to start the next chapter of our lives. Since then, I feel like I've been repeating myself about why we're here, how we've been, etc. I finally decided that if I write it down in one place, people that are interested can read it and feel caught up. 

At the end of July, we made the long drive to Arizona. I have never been to Arizona in the summer, so it was quite the wakeup call (hello, 115 degrees).


Doug's parents graciously let us move in with them while Doug is going to flight school so we could save some money. Flight school is more expensive than all of the tuition Doug and I spent at BYU-I combined. Yikes.

I had a job lined up with a medical scribe company. I was so excited that I only applied to several places before I received a job offer. It was a big weight off my shoulders knowing that I had something lined up and that I would be supporting us. When I was hired, I was told that I had to take a test from study material (think hundreds of medical terms) that the company provided. I had to pass with an 80 percent or higher. That was a little stressful, but I'm good at studying, so I studied the heck out of the material until I knew everything. 

When we got here, I expected to take the test and start training almost immediately. Doug and I planned a quick trip to California before I expected to start. However, the whole point of squeezing in a quick trip was unnecessary: I didn't hear back from them for weeks. Finally, the set up a time and place for me to take this test. Fortunately, I passed. I expected to start work right after that. Unfortunately, trainings only took place on Saturdays. So the next two Saturdays after that week, I went to trainings from around 12 to 5. After that last training, we were told that in the next couple of weeks, we'd be placed in a clinic. Well fast forward two months--I STILL haven't heard anything back. I was assured that they are a real company (they even paid me for my training) but it had been radio silence since then. 
If you know anything about me, you know that I like to keep busy. If I don't have something to do, I go absolutely nuts. Well, I've been sitting around on my butt for about two months in a brand new state in a brand new ward without hardly any friends and anything to do. I'm going crazy. About a month after not hearing anything back, I finally starting applying to different places because I was (and still am) fed up. So I am happy to say that I have a new job that I'm about to start in an orthopedic office as a front desk receptionist. Yay me!

Doug was supposed to start flight school in August. Unfortunately, the FAA medical certificate that he needed to get before he could start took WAY longer than either of us expected. He finally got it in the mail a couple weeks ago (middle of September). Anyway, he couldn't choose a new start date until he had that medical certificate, and when he called to make a reservation to start school, the next available date wasn't until December. (As if we haven't had enough of nothing to do). But for the most part, we are just relieved and thankful that the whole purpose of moving here is finally panning out. Doug is so excited to become a pilot!
I think thats the gist of it. If anyone made it to the end of this, good for you. 

Comments

Popular Posts